[nagdu] micromanaging your dog

Tina Thomas tinadt at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 4 17:51:38 UTC 2012

Hi Steve- I think in the  beginning of the training of the dog, some micro
management is necessary to insure the desired behavior and manners of the
dog. However, as the dog starts to gain more skills and exhibit desired
behavior then the trainer/handler can start to allow the dog to explore and
make mistakes without correcting for every little infraction. We have to
remember that although our dogs are well trained service animals, they are
still dogs and they need the opportunity to be dogs. One of the things I
have learned from working dogs for 25 years is that if I try to control my
dog's every move and not allow for mistakes then I have turned my dog in to
a robot and not the fun loving animal that the dog could be. Now when the
dog is in harness, funny thing is that when my dog is in harness, I find
myself having to manage the public and not the dog so much because the dog
knows  what is expected and the public doesn't.
Good topic.
Tina