[nagdu] crowded trains

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Mar 4 19:16:47 UTC 2012

It's one of the things I like about TSE, their emphasis on keeping the dog
out of the way.  Last time I was at GDB, in 1997, my instructor laughed at
me for trying to tuck Echo under my chair.  Inappropriate of him, I
thought.  I don't think GEB emphasizes it, either.
Tracy

> Landon used to sprawl way out with his feet in the aisle.  He would inch
> his
> way out from under the seat but no longer does that as much.  He had to
> learn the hard way what happens when he sticks his legs way ouot - they
> get
> stepped on!  Many times, I feel him pull back under the seat when people
> are
> getting on or off the bus after getting stepped on.
>
> In general, I notice that people from different schools seem to let theier
> dog sprawl out in walkways around tables in a room.  It seems that some
> schools don't emphacize keeping your dog under the table or chair ouot of
> the way of foot traffic in a room.  We seem to have this problem at
> meetings
> in our blind center.  Many dogs are actually behind the owners and do get
> tripped over by orther blind and the sighted people.  The people seem to
> have little awareness as to the wherabouts of their dog.  Our chairs have
> bar under them prohibiting putting the dog under the chair.  We sit at big
> round tables and there is room for a few dogs under the table except if
> you
> get a seat near the table legs and then you havve no choice but to have
> the
> dog along side the chair.  In that case, I try to put Landon's butt under
> the table as much as I can get him with his head facing out beside me.
>
> I was told by a graduate of another school from mine that they don't
> really
> emphacize putting the dog out of the way.  Seeing Eye really emphacizes
> this
> for the safety of the dogs and the safety of people passing by who fails
> notice the dog on the floor.
>
> Lyn and Landon

>>> standing. It is fine with me. I sometimes feel I can get the dog in a