[nagdu] Danger on 4 Paws Part 2.

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 7 04:54:30 UTC 2012

Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 12:26 PM
Subject: Danger on 4 Paws Part 2.
- Danger on Four Paws - Dogs Attacking Guide
Dogs: Part 2
Last week, in Part 1 of this series, I outlined some of the serious issues that occur when dogs attack guide dogs. Now, I'd like to speak briefly on
what can be done about it.
As with most issues of this caliber, it is essential for lawmakers to pass guide dog protection laws and for prosecutors, judges, and law enforcement agencies to uphold them. Unfortunately, it will take more than one attack resulting in serious injury or death to either the person or the guide dog for lawmakers in most U.S. States to change current penal codes. Until there is an imminent danger, there will be little change.
So since we're on our own for the time being, what follows are some helpful tips to protect yourself and your dog should an attack occur. First, be proactive. Program emergency phone numbers in your mobile phone, carry a white cane, and practice daily obedience with your dog to reduce your guide's distraction level around other dogs. If you become aware of loose or aggressive dogs, get away from them. This can reduce the risk of an attack
if the dog in question is being territorial.
But what happens if despite that, an attack happens? Can you, or should you, stop an attack once it begins? Dog training experts advise not to get in the middle of a dog-on-dog attack. If you are faced with one, you should drop the handle and leash and yell loudly. Self-defense experts advise to yell "fire" instead of "help" as it will always get more attention. Keeping a white cane in your bag will also give you a reliable means to get you and your dog to safety.
Dropping the leash does seem like the opposite of what you should be doing, and this question was asked informally among experienced and first-time handlers alike. While a few had been victims of a dog-on-dog assault, all agreed on one point, that it is difficult to drop the leash. One person even added that it was like letting go of your child. One thing is clear;
however, all of the handlers said more needs to be done to push lawmakers in each municipality, town, and city to increase punitive consequences upon the attacking dog's owner.
What would you suggest to get lawmakers in your town or city to help protect guide dog teams?
Guide Dogs for the Blind:
http://www.guidedogs.com/site/PageServer?pagename=education_guidedoglaws#con
tent
The Seeing Eye 2011 Dog Attack Survey: www.seeingeye.org/protect/survey.doc