[nagdu] to Mardi, was Seeing Eye Dogs a Tough Breed in New York City

Ava Foster avapup.7 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:34:20 UTC 2012

Hi Mardi, it's Ava finally writing you back *grin*! I did train both
Jet and Cocoa, although I did have help. With Jet, an assistance dog
trainer helped me long-distance, but she was not a guide dog trainer.
So I pretty much lucked out having already had Jet as my pet, who
happened to be so perfect for working as a guide. She learned
everything SO fast and once she learned it, it was like, she'd never
forget. She was a Rough Collie, and I wonder if she thought that by
guiding me, she was guiding her very small flock haha! I also trained
Cocoa, but Cocoa is different because she has more of the temperment
to be a hearing dog, which actually IS her primary designaton and was
what she was first trained for. I did have a school help me train her
for that and for public access. When Jet was a working guide, I was
legally blind after a car accident. My eyesight improved enough to the
point where now I'd be considered low vision, except at night, when
I'm still very much legally blind. They aren't sure of the stability
of my vision or hearing; I have bilateral Meniere's disease, also, so
will most likely end up with profound hearing loss on both sides.
Well, I trained Cocoa for guide work, with help from family and a
friend on traffic work. She is a Lab, and a lot different to work with
than Jet was. Jet pulled so smoothly, I loved it, but walking in
harness with Cocoa is like being pulled by a bouncy train lol. She
also has a hard time settling down during down time, which works well
for her hearing dog role, she just always wants to be going, doing,
moving! Cocoa's sire was a well-titled field Lab, and I think a lot of
her energy came from his side. She loves to work in fast paced places,
and absolutely hates shopping. Stopping while I am looking for clothes
is Cocoa's ultimate pet peeve *laughs*. I was glad to hear from you!
Oh, Huskies are amazing dogs, but I barely have the energy for Cocoa,
and I think Huskies are even more energetic, aren't they? I hope my
next dog may be a GSD or another Collie - grins. Ava