[nagdu] Ownership of guide dog

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 12 12:39:28 UTC 2012

Hannah,
    We have heard several justifications for the paternalistic policies of
those programs who do not transfer ownership upon graduation. It is my
position that none of these justifications are valid. Those programs that
transfer ownership upon graduation do not experience the problems those who
do not do so contend their policies prevent. Programs that transfer
ownership upon graduation have the ability to protect their dogs from abuse,
maltreatment, and neglect, assist their consumers with arrangements for care
after retirement, provide effective folow-up after completion of training,
and maintain good records of the dogs' health and temperament. Frankly, I
havt heard one valid reason for a program to retain ownership of the dog
once training is completed.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala