[nagdu] Ownership of guide dog

Mariea Harris mharris1979 at carolina.rr.com
Mon Mar 12 15:47:45 UTC 2012

I also want to clear up some things with GEB and GDB concerning
ownership. The schools consider the dog yours and after the 1 to 2
years, if you retire the dog, you still choose what happens to that dog.
GEB or GDB doesn't come rushing in and take your dog away. If you can't
find a home for your dog, both schools have the raisers to contact to
see if they want the dog and a huge waiting list of people who pay money
for the retired dogs as pets.

In some cases of abuse, it's still hard for the school to take the dog
away, as some of you seem to think. I know of a story where this guy was
driving his car and had his guide dog with him. A graduate counsel
member was trying to get the dog taken away from this guy and she was
having a hard time doing so. Apparently the guy had limited vision and
wasn't supposed to be driving in the first place.

--

Mariea and Valiant