[nagdu] Ownership of guide dog

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 13 11:47:44 UTC 2012

Brenda,
    NAGDU is in the process of conducting a survey of guide dog training
programs and their policies. To the best of my knowledge, Guide Dogs of
America (GDA), Guide Dog Foundation (GDF), Southeastern Guide dogs, and The
Seeing Eye are the only programs that transfer ownership upon completion of
training. GDF has the option of retaining ownership for a specified period
of time in cases in which they are unsure if the match will work out. Their
approach is one of having a trial period before making the decision. This is
not their usual policy; rather an option to give the consumer the chance to
see if it will work out. If there are any others, please let me know and, if
possible, provide the ownership agreement.
    I am of the opinion that retaining ownership of a dog for any period of
time after completion of training as a matter of policy is founded in
paternalism. It sends a message that the program has the belief blind
people, as a group, must prove themselves worthy and competent of this
privilege. The premise is wrong and offensive to me as a blind person. NAGDU
is urging all training programs to transfer real ownership to the consumer
upon completion of training and to implement due process policies for the
repossession of the dog. to the best of my knowledge, none of the programs
who retain ownership have any published due process for this purpose. Again,
if my assertion is incorrect, please provide me with evidence of this.

fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala