[nagdu] Licensing Your Dog

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Mar 13 12:20:28 UTC 2012

I disagree.  The ADA clearly states that no tax or fee can be charged of
a service dog.    I also believe that the county government is a public
entity that is charging a fee to have a dog in it's jurisdiction, the
land operated by the county.   Service dogs are not pets and are not
subject to the same laws governing pets in any other instance.  Why
would they be in this case.

I know of no case law that addresses this issue though.  It would be
interesting to see how it would be viewed by the DOJ or in court.

I think the issue of license fees is very different from the free eye
exams or similar charity programs.  Those are not a requirement and are
not a law that must be complied with.

JMO
Julie