[nagdu] Halti / Braille compass

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 01:53:51 UTC 2012

Sheila,  My hearing started to diminish just after High School. I did not
realize it until much later though. I do remember always having the TV
sound turned up on high all the time and other people complaining that it
was too loud.I totally lost all hearing in my right ear in my late
20's.That is when a doctor diagnosed it as nerve deafness. He told me that
I might also loose the hearing in my other ear,which has thankfully not
happened ..........yet.I got used to hearing that way as there was nothing
that could be done to fix it. Two years after loosing my hearing in the
right ear, I was a passenger in a car hit by a drunk driver. I suffered a
closed head injury,with subsequent seizures and blurred and double
vision.Those conditions were not treated as I was accused of faking. Five
years later,after being a patient in the seizure unit at Yale-New haven
hospital, They did catch  seizure activity on the EEG. Still my eyesight
problem was not even taken seriously.It was not until I came to live in
Arizona that it was diagnosed as Cortical Vision Impairment.It was a Brain
problem and not an eye problem.No one cared enough to do any thing about it
until it was no longer curable. Then I got age related macular
degeneration, the dry form and became legally blind. I was visually
impaired for 32 years. I have had one eye doc diagnose me with early
cataracts, but another one says I do not have any cataracts. When I needed
a guide dog, I could not find a school that would train a dog for a
wheelchair user,so I just trained my then service dog to guide me. I did
find a dog trainer to help me. I am now 65 years young and have had 3
guides that I trained. I did have the help of a trainer but did most of the
training of Shaman on my own this time around.
At this point, I am not going to argue about cataracts as I just don't
care. I am not fond of doctors at this time in my life as most of them have
never treated me fairly. The only doctor I trust is my primary care doctor
as he has been  a very caring person and has never questioned me when I
have complained that I was ill.He just takes care of whatever problem
arises. I am pretty healthy though so that is good. I hope this helps to
explain things more. I hope your ear problem gets better soon. Take care,
Mardi and Shaman and Tipton, future GDIT.
--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/