[nagdu] bad handlers

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Mar 16 18:03:00 UTC 2012

Rox, I agree with your approach (and I'm not deaf). :.)  It's just a lot
easier for me to control my dog than to control other people, especially
strangers.  So I teach my dog to ignore anyone who's not family, and even
they're debatable.
I suspect people pat Ben all the time without asking, especially on the
city bus.  But he doesn't react, so it's no big deal.
Yesterday, I was standing outside a restaurant, waiting for a friend, and
a lady came swooping up, said "hi handsome!" patted Ben, and dashed off.
We were both like "huh?".  But Ben didn't get excited, so neither did I.

I've had 6 dogs now, and none of them have gotten over-excited about
strangers.  I don't know if it's the luck of the draw, or something I do,
but I begin to suspect the latter. Remember that discussion we were having
with Steve a while back?  Maybe, if your dogs keep turning out with
similar habits and attitudes, they're picking them up from you?
Tracy