[nagdu] GDF training

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 20 17:43:44 UTC 2012

Hi Jeanine:

That was a great email. Dog guides Canada teaches the find command and they are empowering in teaching us to taylor it to our needs when we get home. I'm still learning how I need to give the command to Bogart and see if he will do it. He has a tendency to go to the the esculator going in the wrong direction. I've recently started to tell him find the esculator right and it has worked. I have also tried things when buried deep within a store to say find the way out and let him go. I was amazed the first time when he did it with no issue. Maybe I should try saying find the esculator up (or down) and see what he does.

Just out of the blue one day at a place where I encounter a T intersection
 and I'm on the bottom of the T I asked him to left, find the curb. He actually turned onto the grass and lined us up with the curb across from us. I was blown away. So now I will give more complicated commands as long as they are using words that I think he already knows. It has great results. There is probably so much more he can do without me even knowing.

Gary