[nagdu] GDF training

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 07:35:37 UTC 2012

Hi every one, Mardi here. Since I train my dog to work from a wheelchair,I
don't train hand signals as I have one hand controlling my power chair and
the other hand on the harness handle and leash. My dog does every thing I
ask by just voice commands. I also train my dog to sit if we come to
stairs,up or down.The same with escalators or curb drop offs. I simply
don't do steps,escalators, drop offs ect.Shaman will not go forward when I
come to these obstacles.I do train my dog to find an elevator, a table,the
trash can, and many other things.At first I had a hard time convincing
Shaman to get on the elevator but once he got on and it went up and down,he
loved it.Now he gets all excited when I ask him to find the elevator.When
we cross at cross walks,Shaman will wait for the left or right command when
we get to the other side. Then he will back up first if he needs more room
to turn because of a pole or people.Then he will make the turn.When we come
to a door way, He will enter first and then back up in front of me while I
am coming in.Then he will come back to my left side and proceed forward.I
have trained him to find cross walk poles so I can push the button for the
light to change.He will also find the handicap  push button to open doors
when one is present.If there is none, he will just stop in front of the
door.He will also stop at automatic doors and wait for the forward command
when the door opens.If we are on a side walk and there is no curb cut, he
will stop and then turn to the left and wait for me to ask him to find a
drive way or other way off that does not require a step down.I have trained
all my dogs this way. Being that I am sitting down lower than some one
walking,I seldom come across low hanging objects. Occasionally I will come
across a low hanging tree branch and then my dog will stop and wait for the
forward command and go around it.I don't think that training a dog to work
from a wheelchair is that complicated at all. I don't see why more of the
schools don't train for it. There are so many people who could benefit from
it, especially a lot of vets returning from war with multiple injuries plus
blindness. I hope they get the message soon because there are a lot of
blind people with other disabilities out there that need and want guide
dogs. Using a cane from a wheelchair does not always work that well.  Mardi
and Shaman and Tipton,Future GDIT.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/