[nagdu] Advance Notification

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 23 11:54:39 UTC 2012

Natalie,
    In this message, you say that you tell them you will be accompanied by a
guide dog because you don't want any surprises. What I think is the biggest
surprise is that taxi companies do not adequately train their employees on
the civil rights provisions of the ADA. Just as it is illegal to
discriminate against us by reason of our disability, it is another's civil
right to not be discriminated against because of other characteristics.
Should someone call a taxi company and tell them they are African American,
Muslim, or gay? Why or why not? What if someone contends they are afraid of
black people or that their religion forbids them from being in the presence
of homosexuals? Should they be allowed to refuse service to them based upon
these irrational concerns or should they be required to abide by the law?

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala