[nagdu] Blind dog training

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 06:05:26 UTC 2012

Mariea, Mardi here. I used to train service dogs before I became legally
blind.I just continued to train dogs,  although I don't train as many due
to my age now and time constraints. I still do train the occasional service
dog and I always work on obedience with the rescue dogs that I foster.I
have trained all three of my guide dogs,but I did have the help of a
private trainer. I did most of the training of my current guide by my self
this time around. I am going to do the training of my other dog,Tipton by
my self.If you want to be a dog trainer,than I say go for it.You can learn
a lot from reading books on the subject. There are several good books on
service dog training.You have a foundation as you have gone through
training with a guide dog.Talk to as many trainers as you can and get tips
for training. There are many methods of training but I have found that
positive reinforcement works best for what I do. Some times you have to use
several methods as one does not always work on every dog.There are several
owner trainers on this list also. If you care to read my training blog, the
address is listed below this post.You may write me of list if you wish at
wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com         Good luck in following your dream.
Mardi and Shaman and Tipton,future GDIT.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/