[nagdu] Advance Notification

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Thu Mar 29 10:07:29 UTC 2012

Hi, All,

The question of whether it is illegal for the management of a place of
public accommodation to ask a person for identification to prove that he/she
is disabled or that the service animal which accompanies him/her is a
legitimate service animal, is further complicated in my mind by the fact
that this question is no where mentioned in the law itself, but rather is
mentioned in the implementing regulations published by the Department of
Justice.  The law says that places of public accommodation must make
exceptions to their policies and practices to allow access to their
buildings and services for persons with disabilities accompanied by service
animals.  It is the regulations that state how this goal will specifically
be met, such as what questions may be asked of the person or what the
responsibilities of the pwd and the place of public accommodation are, etc.
So, I agree with Julie that if the person was not actually denied access,
then probably a court would say that there is no grounds for a complaint.

But with legal matters, I always assume that my logic is probably nothing
like the logic of legal minds.  So, who knows....

Best,
Ann