[nagdu] Advance Notification

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Thu Mar 29 14:35:06 UTC 2012

I'm not sure whether they technically can or cannot ask for identification
or other proof that the animal is a service animal.  My reading of the ACAA
regulations is that, if the animal has equipment that is generally
associated with service animals, or if the animal is obviously carrying out
the functions generally associated with a service animal, or if they ask the
person who is accompanied by the animal if it is a service animal and they
receive a response which seems to confirm this fact, then they don't need to
ask for further proof.  But if they still have doubts, then they can ask for
more proof that the animal is a service animal.  So they probably shouldn't
ask you for proof that your dog is a guide dog if it is in harness and
actively guiding you.  But I don't think they would get in any sort of
trouble if they did ask for further proof.  I don't think that is expressly
prohibited by the law or regulations.  I may be wrong about this.  But
recently I heard that a guide horse handler was asked for ID for the service
animal as a condition for boarding the aircraft with her guide horse, which
was in harness and guiding her at the time, and clearly identifiable as a
guide horse.  So it seems that they are routinely asking for the "proof",
even though the so-called certification is totally worthless.

Best,
Ann