[nagdu] Happy Story

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Thu Mar 29 15:49:24 UTC 2012

        I'd agree with this.
Also, be careful of saying that you'd never let yourself do something.

I had concerns about my second dog almost right away. She guided well, in some ways she guided better then my previous dog. But, she had very little stamina.  I raised this to the instructor who told me "She's not your old dog".

In fairness, I should have phrased my concerns differently.  I believe I said something like "This dog guides well, but she lacks the stamina of my old dog".

We all have to adjust to new dogs. This is normal.  This also means that we sometimes don't know what to adjust to and what will be a deal-breaker.

I feel that the instructor should have talked with me more about the stamina concerns. She could have said "Well, I can't fix this, but I can log it, and we can discuss either during class or after if this is aproblem".  She didn't. I was made to feel that I was the one with the problem.

My dog's lack of stamina was indeed a real problem. She couldn't work for long periods. She'd have a brilliant flash and then it would be gone.

I went home with her partly because my concerns were minimized. Also, I loved her. She was sweet. She cuddled up to me.  She seemed to really want to make me happy. When she wasn't exausted, she guided very well.  I had worked hard to get time off work to go train with her. I had left my husband alone for three weeks.  I missed him.  He also is the sort of guy that needs adult supervision.   I felt if I hadn't come home with a dog, I had wasted that time.

It was very difficult for me to separate my emotions, the expectations I had, the expecations others had, and my hard observations.

Even now I don't know that I made the right decision.  I loved that dog. She and I had fun together.  She is the first being my daughter learned to love that did not meet her physical needs.

Should I have pushed harder and demmanded a dog switch? I don't know. Should I have left the school without a dog? I don't know. Logically, that would have been the right decision.   If I'd done that though, many people would not have had the relationships with that dog that they did.

These questions aren't easy to answer.