[nagdu] First State Convention

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Nov 1 15:25:32 UTC 2012

I just went to my state convention a couple of weeks ago.  I've been to
many state conventions, but I honestly cannot remember if Monty has been
to a NFB state convention.  We go to a fair amount of other blindness
group functions, so he has been around canes and other guide dogs before.

Monty is okay around regular cane users.  However if we come across
someone who is really struggling and using their cane in an erratic
fashion, it does cause Monty some difficulty. In large groups of cane
users Monty does his best, but sometimes canes will still contact me or
him.  I don't count this as an error on his part.  It's just a fact of
working in that type of situation.  again Monty isn't bothered by canes
touching him, unless the touch is less than delicate.  If that happens I
try to get him away from the situation and let him settle.  He's fine
after a bit and we go on about our business.

The biggest struggle I have with working these types of situations is
always feeling like I'm going in circles instead of where I want to go.
It's a handler thing, not a dog thing.  The better information I have
the better I can direct him.  However in a new situation like a
convention it isn't always possible to know exactly which room I want.
I try to allow extra time and double check directions and all that,
still I have pretty much accepted that I'm going to need to spend longer
getting where I want to go than I like.

Of course you may encounter other guide dogs.  Monty used to be crazy
distracted by other dogs, but now all they get is a glance.  I am very
proud of the progress he has made in the dog distraction department.  It
was the one thing that I thought might jeopardize him being a guide
dog.  that being said you can't control the other dogs or handlers.
The hotel we stayed at happened to be pet friendly, so in addition to
the other guides there were also pet dogs.  We did have an issue with
one of the other dogs not liking Monty very much, but the handler took
immediate and decisive action to correct the situation.  Monty was a bit
anxious about that other dog, so I did my best to keep a fair amount of
space between them.

Other advise about conventions is really about traveling and not
specifically blindness group related.   If I'm traveling a long way from
home I try to remember to pack water.  I have been to some places with
some odd smelling water that Monty has refused to drink.  I can't say
that I blame him.  If I forget and he refuses the water I'll buy bottled
water.  He doesn't refuse the water that often so I figure he has a good
reason and respect his choice.

I also give more relief breaks than I do at home.  At home I'd guess he
gets about 6 breaks.  When I travel it's probably more like 8.  Partly
it's because of the change in schedule, water and possibly his need to
relieve, but also it gives both of us an opportunity to get some fresh
air and just relax for a few minutes.  I need that as much as he does
during long meeting days.

I hope you enjoy your state convention!
Julie