[nagdu] Seating

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Nov 4 15:57:10 UTC 2012

I try very hard to find a place for Monty where he will be safe.  Very
rarely do I request a specific place to sit though. If at a table or
desk he goes under and shares my foot space.  Generally I put my feet on
either side of him if I am concerned about him getting kicked or
stretching out into other people's foot space. There are so many
different seating arrangements it is difficult to describe what works
for all situations because there is no single simple answer.  On
occasion I have used my backpack or an empty chair to put next to him or
over in the case of the chair to protect his space and keep people from
stepping on him. When I present in a classroom type setting I usually
have him lie near the wall at the front of the room.  If there are rows
of chairs side by side with no table in front I try to get him under my
chair with his front half sharing my foot space.  If the chair isn't
open underneath I will sit on an end, preferably not the main aisle end.

I think it comes down to do the best you can do in any particular
situation.  It gets easier with experience.  I also think you have to
accept that stuff happens and if the dog gets stepped on you will work
through it the best you can.  I suppose some dogs would get anxious
after something like this, but most recover as easily as a person would
if someone bumped into you.

Julie