[nagdu] In question please

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Nov 5 12:21:11 UTC 2012

Yes, there are dogs that can alert to changes in blood sugar levels.
There is even a program that trains this type of dog.  I'm remembering
it's in the northwest, Washington or Oregon?  Of course the dog wouldn't
have had to come from this or any program to be trained to alert to the
guy's medical condition.

It is kind of odd that he changed his story about the dog over the
course of the weekend.  Perhaps the guy is uncomfortable talking about
his medical issues and was trying to evade what he perceived as
intrusive questions?  I don't know.  I do know that sometimes I give
people answers that aren't 100% honest because I am simply tired of
talking about it and would like to end the conversation.  Or it could be
that he was a bit insecure about having trained the dog himself.  I went
through that in the beginning.  People would ask how long I had my dog
and I would answer with how long the dog had been working, which of
course was shorter than the time I had the dog.  You can get a lot of
brutal comments from people when you announce training your own dog.
Sometimes I am just not in the mood to have that conversation, so I
avoid it.

When you say that several dogs took a disliking to this dog, do you mean
that the other guide dogs were acting inappropriately or the diabetic
alert Saint Bernard?  Because if the other guide dogs were acting up but
the Saint  Bernard was not, then that is not the Saint  Bernard's
handlers issue.  That would be up to the guide dog handler's to control
their dogs.

Julie