[nagdu] In question please

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Nov 5 16:28:51 UTC 2012

It would be up to the place of business to ask if the dog was a service
dog, not every other person all day.  That would feel like harassment, I
think.  There are some very specific and legal questions businesses can
ask to ascertain if a dog is a service dog.

I get asked at Wal-Mart pretty frequently if Monty is a service dog.
The other day the front door greeter asked the service dog question and
then told me that she was the only employee allowed to ask and if anyone
else bothered me about the dog to let her know and she'd take care of
it.  This is new.  Perhaps there's hope for Wal-Mart?

A vest or harness is simply a function of what the dog needs to do for
the handler and the preferences of the handler.  There is no legal
requirement for any sort of dress for the dog.  If the dog was alerting
the man to a medical condition probably through some sort of body
contact or position, it wouldn't need a harness to perform that task.

I do agree that wearing something that makes it obvious that the dog is
working would help identify the dog, but it isn't required. I also don't
think requiring a vest or harness would somehow cut down on the
instances of pets in public.  You can purchase that stuff from a load of
different web sites or make it yourself for pretty cheap.  It's the
training and behavior that sets a service dog apart.  It sounds like
this dog was behaving appropriately, but the other service dogs were the
ones with the problem.

I've been in that situation.  It is very uncomfortable both when your
dog acts up and when other dogs misbehave around your dog.  For me it's
even more uncomfortable when other dogs act up around Monty.  I don't
want to cause them problems, but I also want to go about my business.
When it's Monty I can do something about the situation, but when it's
the other dog my options are pretty limited.

In my humble opinion the man did the service dog community proud.  He
had a well behaved dog that assisted him and wasn't a bother to others.
Isn't that what we all strive for no matter which program or no program
our dog came from?

Julie