[nagdu] Diabetic alert dogs and how alert dogs are preventing a need for a guide dog!

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Nov 8 16:34:58 UTC 2012

Dailyah, that was very interesting and informative.
Cindy, I think Dailyah was saying that if a diabetic could use a service
dog to control his or her sugar better, then that person might not get the
complications that would make a guide dog necessary.

Dar, the equipment the dog has isn't important; it's the training that
counts.  I suppose the guy could go down to Petco, buy a vest, and get
"service dog" written on it, but what would it prove?  I think, and the
law agrees, that if he says it's a service dog, and it's well-behaved,
then it's not a problem.  I'm not sure where being a total comes in.  I'm
totally blind, and I wouldn't know if a dog had on a vest, harness, or
whatever, unless I was petting it.  But, if the dog is behaving itself and
not causing trouble, then I have no problem with it being there.
Now, if I was choosing a service dog for its' scenting ability, I'd
probably pick something smaller than a St. Bernard, but that's me.  I'd
bet the guy had the dog, and it showed an aptitude for the work, and
that's a fine thing.
Tracy