[nagdu] Working Our Dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Nov 9 18:12:45 UTC 2012

Hi Sarah.
I've had 6 guide dogs, and every one has done best when worked every day,
especially when they're young.
Ben is 8 now.  He sometimes gets a day off, but he still does best when he
works every day.  The only exception is if he's worked his tail off for a
few days, like when we go away to harp festival for 3 days.  Then he wants
to put his paws up for a day, if he can.
Last week, after superstorm Sandy, my office was closed and all the
traffic lights were out, plus never knowing where there might be downed
trees or even wires, so I did not get Ben out for more than a short walk
most days.  When the power came back and we started working more, he was
squirrely as heck.  He'd gotten bored, and, when we got back out, he was
busy looking around at everything. Which is what usually happens if he
hasn't gotten enough work.
So anyway, you don't need to feel guilty if you really can't get out, but
the more you get out, especially when the dog is new, the better the team
will be.
Tracy