[nagdu] Working Our Dogs

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sat Nov 10 18:22:45 UTC 2012

Sarah,
I've been reading your posts and other's responses to them.  I am concerned
about your having nothing to occupy your time or ability to get out and walk
and work your dog.  You sound young if you're still living at home and your
Mom still works.

Sarah, you need to find some volunteer work where you can do something
useful.  I pick up some depressed and defeated signals from you and, boy do
i know what that's like, and you need to get out for your own mental and
physical health.  The same goes for the dog.  These dogs are bred to work
and they need it.

I used to live in a place with limited bus service and I just had to plan
for that.  Unfortunately, as blind people, we must live on other people's
time when it comes to getting things done or going someplace.  For this
reason, I chose to move back to the city where we have many buses that run
at least every 15 minutes and a number to choose from.  Here in San Diego, I
live in City Heights, a very urban area.  I live along two bus routes and
these connect to all the others as well as a trolley system.  I can get to
most places I want to.  Where these don't go or at night, I also have
paratransit.  You may want to consider moving to a city where you can have a
life.

In my area, there are a whole bunch of blind and disabled folks and we
either have Section-8 Housing Vouchers or live in Senior/Disabled housing.
It works.  Many don't have jobs but some of us have volunteer jobs or other
activities to keep busy.  I do pet assisted therapy with Landon where we
bring cheer and animals to visit those folks in facilities where they can't
have a pet.  I'm active in my Democratic Party club, my LGBT community
events, and local blind center where I do crafts and belong to the singing
group for our huge fundraiser each holiday season.  When I'm not doing those
things, I spend time with friends, read, watch TV, work on the computer.

You have a life - live it to the max!  You're only young once and it gets no
easier as you age.  I sure know about that - I'm 61.  I remember all the
work and partying I did in my 20s - Hahahaha!  I don't party much now.

I wish you well and hope you find the right solution for your situation.

Lyn and Landon
"Education creates tolerance towards diversity."