[nagdu] methods of training in other countries?

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sun Nov 25 18:57:48 UTC 2012

I know that TSE has given breeding stock to Japan's guide dog school.  We
used to have a Japanese guide dog user here in our blind community during
the 1990s and she told me that the dogs are trained with English commands
because of the gender specificity of the Japanese language. Of course, the
Japanese students are taught in and speak Japanese but the commands for the
dogs are English.  This lady had a dog from Japan and her harness looked
much like ours - brown leather.  She had a fairly mellow yellow Lab and I
never saw her give leash corrections.  The dog was well behaved.  The woman
has left San Diego a long time ago and don't know where she went.  She was
young so maybe she went to school somewhere.

I have read books about the British guide dogs and seen pictures.  Their
school is one school with several branches - much like Guide Dogs for the
Blind here in California.  One of the breeds used in England is the Curly
Coated retriever - looks like a Lab/Poodle cross but isn't.  I've seen
several dogs of this breed who were owned by a breeder here in San Diego.  I
have heard that they aren't used here in the US because the schools feel
that the breed matures too slowly.  Doesn't make sense to me because they
mature much like German shepherds - whatever...

The harnesses in England are white and are similar in style much like the
harnesses used at Guide Dogs of America back in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Lyn and Landon
"Education creates tolerance towards diversity."