[nagdu] talking to landlord about guide dogs

Kody Keplinger kodytheduff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 01:24:47 UTC 2012

Buddy - I totally understand where you're coming from, and you're right, of
course, regarding their response.  But I still think I should let them
know. I have a good relationship with my landlord, and while they can't
tell me not to get the dog, of course, I do think I should keep them
informed.  (Also, the instructors who did my interviews for both Fidelco
and Seeing Eye asked if I'd yet informed my landlord, which to me was an
indication that I should do so, out of courtesy.)  And, like Larry said, if
they're going to give me trouble, I'd rather start dealing with it now
rather than later.

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Larry D. Keeler <lkeeler at comcast.net>wrote:

> Buddy, I sort of aggree with her.  I like not to cause surprises whenever
> possible.  I informed mine as soon as I went to Pilot.  I also figured that
> if they were going to give me any hassle, might as well start now!  My
> complex didn't give me any trouble though.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Buddy Brannan" <buddy at brannan.name>

> nagdu at nfbnet.org>
> Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:10 PM
> Subject: Re: [nagdu] talking to landlord about guide dogs
>

>  Why would it be the "mature thing" to alert your landlord to the possible
>> presence of a mobility aid at some point in the nebulous future? Would your
>> position be the same if said mobility aid were a wheelchair, pair of
>> glasses, or set of crutches?
>>
>> The fact of the matter is that you are legally allowed to have your
>> service dog live with you, you don't need an OK, blessing, or permission
>> from your landlord, your landlord cannot charge you any extra deposit or
>> fees for your service dog, and you have no obligation, legal moral, or
>> otherwise to alert him. You are, of course, responsible for any damage your
>> dog does to the property, but that's really it.
>> --
>> Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
>> Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY
>>

>> On Nov 25, 2012, at 8:02 PM, Kody Keplinger <kodytheduff at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Hello again,
>>>
>>> So as I posted recently, I just got accepted to Fidelco and will be
>>> receiving a guide dog at some point in the future.  I'm SO EXCITED about
>>> this.  I'm sure you can imagine! But I have to deal with a few things
>>> first.
>>>
>>> So I live in an apartment in NYC.  It's a no-dogs apartment. Now I know
>>> that I'm still allowed to have a service dog, by law, but I also think
>>> it's
>>> the mature thing to inform my landlord ahead of time.
>>>
>>> I was just wondering - have any of you had to do this in the past? How
>>> did
>>> you go about doing it? Did you have any difficulties with your landlords?
>>> I'm just trying to figure out what I should prepare for and how I should
>>> go
>>> about letting my landlord know that this will be happening even though
>>> I'm
>>> not sure when it'll be happening?
>>>
>>> Any thoughts would be very helpful!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kody
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/**options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/**

--
*Kody Keplinger*
http://kodykeplinger.com

author of:
*THE DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) - an ALA Top Ten Quick Pick for
Reluctant Young Readers.*
*AVAILABLE NOW!*
*
*