[nagdu] Learning new routes with a guide dog.

Nadja Öberg starwalnut at yahoo.fr
Tue Oct 9 10:36:30 UTC 2012

BS"D

Maria,

In Sweden we owners first learn the new road with help of our low vision therapist, family member, friend or guide dog instructor. After that we walk the road with the dog in her lead and show her the road and what we want her to mark, lampposts, steps and zebra crossings with more. After that we work the dog in her harness.

We can also 'free work' our dogs and that means that we haven't work the dog that road before and often the road is even unknown for the owner. The school don't recommend this method because all guide dogs aren't made for it. I've done it with my dog; she loves new adventures and thinks known roads are boring. You can use a GPS when you work your dog. You need to remember to praise the dog even if she doesn't find the 'right' lamppost; it's your fault when it goes wrong not the dog because she doesn't know what you expect from her.

Kind regards,
Nadja and Hera

Webpage: http://www.nadjaoberg.com