[nagdu] Learning new routes with a guide dog.

Laurel and Stockard laurel.stockard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:35:59 UTC 2012

Hi Maria,
Often times I try and get a good idea of my root before I go out. I try to find out whether the root has side walks all the way, how many strreet crossings etc. This is not always possible, so I dont let lack of information keep me from going where I want to go. Sometimes I take my folding cane with me, so if Stockard my guide isnt totally sure where to go, I can use it to feel what is around. I dont need this very often though, but it can be helpful at times. I also have become very good at asking questions, and clarifying information. If you ae walking down a street with a lot of businesses shops etc, chances are that you will be able to find people to get directions from. I also use gps apps on my iPhone to help me. I use navigon, and sindero gps. Feel free to email me off list if you want to talk about these apps.
The best piece of advice I can give you, is to gain as many independence tools as possible, good people skills, gps etc, and use them. And, if you feel unsure, or get lost, dont panic. Keep your head up and always try and maintain a good since of where you are. I have gotten lost many times, but because of my good mental map and because I kept calk, I got us where I wanted to go. I find it is really 90 percent about confidence and the ability to be cool and calm, and 10 percent the rest. If you want to email me off list to keep this conversation going, please do so at laurel.stockard at gmail.com.
Thanks and have a great day!
Laurel and Stockard

Sent from my iPad