[nagdu] Learning new routes with a guide dog.

Katrin Andberg katrin.andberg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 17:26:52 UTC 2012

I do a fair amount of learning new routes.  It's gotten much easier to get
un-lost since I started using a Trekker Breeze.  I found one used on-line
for $70, I had to order a new power cord, battery and maps for it but all
told cost to me was still less than half of what one would have cost me new.
And that thing is worth its weight in gold in my opinion.  Around my local
area I don't use it as often, mostly when I'm doing a lot of sidewalk-less
travel and finding the turns to the streets can be tough but when I have to
go into Boston or Providence, then yes that thing is invaluable.

Sometimes when learning routes if I can get a friend or one of my parents to
drive to route and tell me where sidewalks are then that's helpful since
sidewalks around here often are not designed logically with actual
pedestrian traffic in mind.  I do a lot of looking routes up on line before
hand as well.  Rarely do I find asking a person I find on the route for help
to actually be helpful.  Most people are so out of touch with the
environment on a pedestrian level that they don't give anywhere near useful
or accurate info if one is not traveling by car.

Katrin