[nagdu] O&M services with a dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Oct 13 13:23:58 UTC 2012

Sometimes on this list, I see people recommending getting O&M services.  I
have had no success getting decent O&M instruction with a dog, though I
admit I only tried twice.  It was so useless I gave up.  The O&M person
had no idea how to work with a dog, what kind of landmarks to point out,
etc.  It's not the same as the landmarks used by a cane user.
When I moved to New York City, I got oriented by asking other dog users,
who gave coherent directions and useful pointers to know I was on the
right track.
I also got some help from TSE, when I was training with Ben, and my
instructor worked with me to teach Ben a route through the Port Authority
bus terminal.
Have other people had better luck with "professional" O&M with a dog than
I've had?
Tracy