[nagdu] O&M services with a dog

Margo and Arrow margo.downey at verizon.net
Sat Oct 13 14:33:40 UTC 2012

We have an O and M instructor in this area who's very familiar with how
guide dog teams work.  I hear she's leaving, though.  I think one or
two of the O and M instructors at our private blindness agency know
about dogs, too, but, yes, those are few and far between.  I know some
of the schools offer O and M people the opportunity to work with a dog,
etc., but I wonder how much they get to learn in the space of a couple
of days.  In other words, do they learn enough to be able to help
someone learn a route or to know what the dog is or isn't dong or the
owner is or isn't doing.

Margo and Arrow