[nagdu] O&M services with a dog

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 15:52:38 UTC 2012

I would tell the person, first of all, that I needed them to walk behind me and to my right. I would say what kind of landmarks I needed, ask about the traffic patterns at the intersections, maybe have the person describe to me something about what is happening between changes of the lights, or if there are traffic signals or top signs or nothing. Lots of stuff you can figure out on your own; sometimes, though, it is easier on you and, perhaps, on your dog, if you don't have to do a lot of trial and error. Some of it you can do with a cane. I would choose somewhere I wanted to go and have the person go with me, but I would work it and get feedback from the person concrning errors I made or helpful hints if those things weren't obvious to me. I've actually done this twice. The first time was with a mobility instructor, and I taught him more than he taught me. The second time was with my rehab counselor. I taught him some, too, but he helped me by telling me some things that we were passing. I was having particular problems with corners. There are flagstones at these corners, and the dog was trying to take the plain walk, but that was taking us away from where we wanted to go. I needed a good feel for how to go so I could give the dogs immediate and very authoritative feedback.

Cindy Lou