[nagdu] Attending Training Centers with a Guide

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 03:50:52 UTC 2012

Hi Jolynn,

I believe that this is a difficult topic.  I agree with Melissa.  The
first thing you should do is call each center and get their policy
straight from them.  Ask them exactly when and where you can use your
dog in their program.  Come up with a list of questions.  It might not
be bad to ask them if they can get you into contact with someone who
has graduated successfully from their center with a guide dog.  Be
sure to ask them where your dog would be and who would be taking care
of it while you are out doing cane travel lessons.  If you would like
any help at all, feel free to email me off list.

I am going to give my opinion here, but first I would like all of you
to know that I have never been to a center and have never seriously
looked into going to one.  So what I'm saying might be total nonsense.
 I am torn on the issue of guide dogs at training centers.  On one
hand, I completely agree with Marion.  There is a reason that dog
guide schools require us to be proficient with a cane.  Cane travel is
what we learn as blind children and what newly blind people learn
first.  It is extremely important.  On the other hand, I ask myself if
I would go to a training center, knowing that I wouldn't be able to
use my dog throughout the day every day during the week.  To that
question, I always answer no.  My dog loves to work, and I love to
work with her.  We are a team, and I think it would hurt us as a team
to lose that time together.  I think it would be possible to find time
on the weekends and after hours to work with the dog.  But I also feel
like that as long as I have a dog, I made a commitment to work with
that dog, take care of the dog, and be with that dog the majority of
the time.

No way am I saying that you shouldn't go to a center.  You have to do
what works for you.  I think you should do extensive research into the
process though before you decide for sure that this is the right time
for you to go.  Perhaps, you might want to wait until between dogs to
go.  Whatever you decide, I hope it goes well and you enjoy your time
at the centers.  I've heard many good things about them all.

--
Julie McG
 Lindbergh High School class of 2009, National Federation of the Blind

life."
John 3:16