[nagdu] Question from anyone who works and has a guide dog

Deanna Lewis deannakay03 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 23:20:12 UTC 2012

Hi Matt,
I agree with Julie here. I think that taking Izzy for a long walk before the
training, or on lunch break will help make her tired, so she will want to
lay down and rest afterwards.
Is the training facility you are at in your home area? If it is relatively
close to you, you may consider riding a city bus there and walking some of
the way. That way you both get some exercise.
My guide, Pascal used to always want to stand during meetings, at
restaurants, etc. But, I found that when we had a good workout before the
meeting, about a mile walk or so, that he would settle a lot easier. He
would plop right down and fall asleep. If I went out and rode to my
destination in a car  or on Para Transit, he would get bored quickly and not
want to lay down. There are still times when he doesn't want to lay down,
especially if he is in the aisle of wherever we are at. So, I always try to
encourage him to lay under the desk or table. If he can't get underneath,
then I just have to be firm and make him lie down.
I am still not very clear on what she is actually doing here... Does she
just not want to lie down? Does she get bored? Does she not mind you?
If it is boredom, I would suggest you bring her a nylabone to chew on while
you are training.
Good luck in your training!
Hope this helps.
Deanna and Pascal