[nagdu] question about working mya.

Kelly Snyder kelly.snyder428 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 23:27:28 UTC 2012

Hello!
First of all, let me commend you on at least talking about retirement
for your guide dog! I know it’s a very difficult decision one that
can’t be made lightly.
Well, I’d take Cindy’s advice and look at the big picture in that what
does she act like while working and does she enjoy it? What does your
Vet say regarding her working health you said she’s starting to have
health issues? I would bring all of these concerns to your school and
see what they have to say. Each breed of dog is diferent and having a
"retirement age" can be different for someone else.
When I made the decision to retire my first guide dog, it was very
difficult he is now 12 and I retired him about a year and a half ago.
He’s now living a great life; he’s a lab/golden cross named Michael
Now, I am fortunate to have an almost 3 year old lab/golden cross and
he is just like my retired guide dog, only a different color and name!
My first guide, Michael was starting to slow down and he developed
arthritis which is being controlled by medication.
The advice that was given to me by my school, I received and will get
all of my dogs from the Guide Dog Foundation in Smithtown NY, what
would the environmental aspects of him working, would he keep me safe.
In the end, it’s truly your decision, to be perfectly honest, I’m glad
I was able to make the decision rather than the dog.
Also you might want to say something to your school now so they can
start the process; I am not sure how long you would have to wait for a
successor dog.  Each school is different in that regard.
Is this your first guide dog?
Please feel free to write me off list if you have any other questions!
I sure hope this helps you in your decision making for the health of your dog!
All the best,
Kelly