[nagdu] question about working mya.

Lori Dent loriandleo at ohiohills.com
Mon Oct 22 00:29:56 UTC 2012

Hi Rhonda,

Firstt of all, I want to wish May a very happy 5th birthday. You said she is
starting to slow down and what kind of helth issues is she having?

My previous dog was a German Shepherd named Leo and he had to be retired at
the age of five do to having hip dysplaysia and he was slowing down a lot
and couldn't do the walking like he once did. May will let you know when she
can't work for you anymore.

Leo got to the point when I got ready to leave the house and I got his leash
and harness out and come him to me he wouldn't get up and he would turn his
head away from the harness when I showed it to him and he would totally
ignore the harness and me. But if I put the harness down and just had the
leash he was right there. So this was telling me that he didn't want to be
my guide anymore because he was hurting from his hip dysplaysia but he still
wanted to go with me or be with me but not as my guide. So I made the hard
decision after talking with LeaderDogs to retire him after working with him
for five years.

I would say watch May closely and see if she gives you any indecation that
she doesn't want to work for you anymore. And if May starts avoiding the
harness that is a sign. Maybe you can call Pilot and talk to your trainer
about May's slowing down and any helth issues she is having and then go from
there weather or not it's getting close to think about retiring her. Good
luck. Take care.

Lori and the Gipper