[nagdu] First dog concerns

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Thu Sep 6 21:14:19 UTC 2012

No worries!  They NEVER harm a dog doing this to teach traffic to our dogs.
TSE uses a padded wand - they showed it to us - and give a very quick poke.
The dog is startled by this because they don't expect it and they learn to
watch for cars. Don't know what other schools use to teach this.

Years ago, dog or animal training was much more harsh and even what we would
currently call abusive.  Over the years training has gotten much gentler and
the dogs are not harmed during their training.  They don't even have to do
this to every dog - only the harder ones who don't respond to less
in-their-face type of training.

Teaching respect for moving traffic is truely a life-or-death thing and the
dogs MUST learn this so we are safe with being guided by them.  Actually,
the dog thinks the CAR smacked them and never even realize that the trainer,
who is driving, poked them with that wand! Any dog who can't learn traffic
safely is dropped from the program.

HTH,

Lyn and Landon