[nagdu] My concerns about getting a guide dog.....

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Sep 7 00:06:19 UTC 2012

If a white cane advertises to everyone that you are blind, a guide dog
is a huge banner complete with neon blinking lights and party tunes.

I'd suggest that you get comfortable with your visual
impairment/blindness before getting a dog.  I'm meaning cane skills, but
more than that too.  I mean that it's important to be at a place with
your blindness where answering questions won't stress you out.  You'll
have all sorts of people asking questions, some about the dog and some
about you.  You'll suddenly become more approachable, at least that has
been my experience.  Sometimes that's nice and other times it's not.

You'll also need to come to understand the limits of your vision and to
not over ride the dog.  that can be tough, like bite your nails and turn
your hair gray tough.  I remember curling my lips over my teeth in an
attempt to keep them from being knocked out because I thought there were
branches coming up and I was going to get a face full.  It never
happened, but still I had to learn to stop trying to see, stop thinking
I could see, stop remembering what I saw and let the dog do his thing.

All my best to you, and a big welcome to the list!
Julie