[nagdu] First dog concerns

Meghan Whalen mewhalen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 12:56:35 UTC 2012

I am curious how it is possible to justify bopping a dog in one place
and not another, a tap is a tap is a tap wherever it is done.  I
honestly think that tapping the top of the dog's head would be much
worse for many reasons, including that the trainer has to reach up and
past the dog's eyes and would probably aim poorly more often.  Also, the
point of the nose/snout bopping is that the dog's nose is the first
thing to get too close to the car.  Waiting for the dog's head to get in
range would be far too close to the car, like on top of it and making
contact.  They get the dog on the muzzle, not the tender part of the
nose.  Regardless, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, and this
is why there are options as to what program to go to to obtain a guide.
Most other schools don't use this method if any others do, but it has
also been said many times that TSE's traffic training bests most
others.  Like others have said, if one perfectly harmless tap is what it
takes to insure safety, I am okay with it.  Traffic training is a very
physical process in which the dogs learn to have a deep respect for what
the vehicles can do to them.  I have been a part of the process more
than once, and that part of training is what makes or breaks the dog.