[nagdu] My Concerns about Getting a Guide Dog

lizzy lizzym0827 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 17:43:50 UTC 2012

Hi Pauline,
Since I don't know you personally, I won't pass judgement or make
assumptions.  What I will do is give you some things to think
about, and ask yourself.
Are you comfortable with yourself as a blind individual?
Are you reluctant to use your cane? Why or why not?
Have you thought about why you (personally) want the dog?
Do you know the pros and (for some people) cons of having a guide
dog?
Do you have the attitude and motivation to be sure that the dog
maintains its training?
I'm not asking you to answer me, just to think about these things
and talk them over with the people who know you best.  Also,
these are questions that will likely come up or be evaluated
during the guide dog admissions process.  *wink*
There is certainly a school out there that will fit you, but you
have to do what is necessary to find it.  You're already doing
that here, which is awesome! Just know that in the end,
everything is up to and depends on you.
HTH,
Lizzy