[nagdu] How Many Routes With Planned Traffic Checks at YourSchool

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Sat Sep 8 18:55:16 UTC 2012

Ummmmm, no traffic checks????  Dogs and handlers get freaked out?????
Hello! How will a Pilot student KNOW how to handle a traffic check if you
don't get them when you are there at the school and with an instructor.
what if one occurs when you are home and alone???  So, then you are to just
have to freak out when you are home and alone on the street and an idiot
zooms across your path of travel.  I'm sorry, just what is Pilot thinking???
In my opinion and in my opinion, only - Pilot is absolutely NUTS to not
teach traffic and provide many traffic checks to you and your dog while in
training.  TSE has actually INCREASED the dog's training time BECAUSE of the
heavy car traffic that they must go thriough in their daily lives as our
guides.

The Seeing Eye has one planned almost every day and these are in addition to
the occassional one that happens naturally as if you were at home and
traveling with your dog.  there are the occassional idiot drivers even in
Morristown!

We have two training trips a day at TSE.  Most of these incorporate a
barricade - stuff that may block the sidewalk either totally or partially,
traffic checks that are driven by an instructor in a non-Seeing Eye vehicle,
turns, curbs, traffic lights, dog distractions provided by another
instructor with dogs that have come in for training and are on Flexileads to
simulate a loose dog.  These things are also discussed in our lectures in
the evenings.  For me, these are the things that make TSE THE BEST!

Lyn and Landon

Lyn and Landon