[nagdu] another comment from a board member

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Sat Sep 8 19:41:09 UTC 2012

Hi all,

As NAGDU Vice President, let me add to Tina's comments.  Ann Edie wrote an
incredibly perceptive and right-on post this morning.  Her comments reflect
my thinking and they apply to all of us, especially those who have recently
come home with a new guide dog.  We ALL can learn from Ann's comments.

On the specific subject of traffic checks I will not pass judgment on any
process that helps improve a guide dog in training to perform proper
intelligent disobedience.  As we all know there are many techniques schools
can use.  I know that GDB uses different methods than TSE.  Some schools do
not instruct on traffic checks at all.  Rather than any of us passing
judgment go advocate for change at a school if you feel so strongly on the
subject.  However, DO NOT just condemn without knowing more and also please
remember that your comments on this list go out to all including those who
have not yet developed the confidence you may have in your dog and in your
team dynamic.

I think we have spent enough time on the current subject of traffic checks.
We also have spent enough time on passing judgment on a new team and its
confidence.  If you have positive things to say and instructive thoughts to
pass along then do so.  If not, let's all these threads to cool off.  No one
should feel they need to leave the list or stop discussing because of
exuberance on the part of others.  What any of us say may have consequences
we do not anticipate so think before you write.

We all have passion about our guides, our work, and our individual schools.
Let your enthusiasm shine through, but don't go overboard here.  Thanks for
reading.

Best,

Michael Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Thunder Dog, and check on Michael
Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

Congratulations to Roselle for winning the title of American Hero Dog, 2011.
Please visit http://www.herodogawards.org to participate in the 2012
American Humane Association Hero Dog Awards contest and to learn about the
American Humane Association.

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost
animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle