[nagdu] Indoor Behavior - So Confused

Larry D. Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Mon Sep 10 02:15:34 UTC 2012

I have always told my family that if they don't want to start a behavior
then just don't!  Example, at home some family members have taken to giving
treats to the dogs.  Sence Pez is small, they don't mind him.  Holly is
bigger and can get just as excited.  Well, a couple of them have taken to
complaining that holly is too hyper when they come over.  So, I put her in
the crate but then, they complain when she goes in there or gets corrected.
Sence they encouraged the behavior, then I tell them that's what they get!
Point is that family members tend to let working dogs get away with things
we wouldn't necessarily let them do when its convenient but then, expect us
to keep them under control when it is not.  I feel that holly lives here and
she basically has the run of the house most times.  She will still listen to
me because I'm consistant with her.  Unlike those folks who bring treats
sometimes and when they don't they whine about her behavior.  When they have
those treats though they excite the dogs because they love to see them run
and play!  Well, which is it! Anyway the advantage of living outside a
family home is that you can be consistant with your dog and it always knows
where its boundaries are. And if the family members don't lik4e it, well,
they know where the door is!