[nagdu] Indoor Behavior - So Confused

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 23:26:14 UTC 2012

Well, here's another thing. Remind them that Cocoa, while she is your guide, is also just a dog. If the poodle is going to bark, Cocoa is going to bark. Fisher does here, especially when Libby and Isabel are barking. They are dogs first. They have to be reminded of the behaviors. As you know, all a guide dog really is is a well trained animal whose skill set happens to be the guiding of a person who is blind. People get the idea that these dogs are something more, some mystical more, and some of us even get a little like that, too. They are well trained in their skill; we are their handlers. They aren't really our eyes, though they see things we cannot. They aren't smarter than we are; we call the shots except in situations where intelligent disobedience comes into play. I think you would be well advised to start looking into another possibility for living. It is a good arrangement if you have to do it, but not when you are being treated like that.

Julie made some good suggestions about food distractions. They are best achieved if you have someone sighted to help you with it; it seems if you get on better terms with your mom, since she doesn't think you are working on the dog's behavior, she would be a good person to help you with it. Do you know what to do in these? I think you said you trained your own dog. If I can help more, let me know, though I know you have heard from many others with good uggestions.

Cindy Lou