[nagdu] Indoor Behavior - So Confused

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Sep 10 12:26:32 UTC 2012

Ava,

I think you have to decide what is important to you and what you are
going to do about it.  I have parents and house guests that don't
interact with Monty in the way that I'd like.  I can't control them,
can't change their mind for them and can't make them do what I want.
Instead I have to do what is necessary for my own safety and reputation.

You mentioned that Cocoa ate chips out of a bag on the floor.  First is
this a behavior that you want to stop?  Second what are you willing to
do about it?  Pick up bags of chips off the floor, keep Cocoa on leash,
put Cocoa in another room when chips are out or maybe find a different
place to live? Those are all options as is doing nothing.  The choice is
entirely yours.

You mentioned some barking outdoors, is that a problem for you?  What
are you willing to do?  Nothing is an option, take her out on leash away
from the other dogs, the antibark collar or something else? It is your
decision.

You also mention whining, stealing food, jumping in circles and
begging.   I know how I do things and what I find acceptable and what I
don't, but everyone is different.  The first thing to do is to figure
out if this is a problem for you or for everyone else.  If you are okay
with it, but everyone else isn't the next thing is to decide if you can
live with that or if everyone's else problem is going to become your
problem.

Two quick examples with Monty.  I don't mind some barking in the yard.
If I've had enough I will call Monty to me and get him to quiet down.
My husband would prefer that he never bark.  I know if the dogs bark
excessively for more than a couple of minutes it is going to bother my
husband and therefore it will become my problem.  Therefore we have
compromised with a few barks and then quiet.  This isn't something that
we sat down at the dining room table and put in writing, this is just
what I've figured out through trial and error and observing reactions
that seems to be tolerable for everyone.

the second example is begging.  Monty is seriously into food.  One of my
house guests has been giving him people food.  I am not entirely against
the giving of people food, but there are rules.  Since she doesn't know
the rules and the consequences to Monty's behavior when I am in public,
it has created problems.  I am having to keep Monty under much more
strict supervision in the house.  I have asked that he not get food and
that I be made aware if he begs for it, but the honest truth is that I
cannot expect 100% compliance from everyone else on this.  All I can
control is my own behavior.  So Monty has to be with me when food is
being prepared so he doesn't get himself into trouble.

I agree with everyone else that Cocoa is your dog and it is up to you to
make decisions about her.  You don't need your parents permission or
blessing.  You've owner trained her and you know what to do.  I think
you're frustrated right now and having difficulty moving forward, but I
think you are a good trainer and handler and will be able to get things
back on track with Cocoa.

All my best,
Julie