[nagdu] Question: Introducing little dog to new guide dog.

Tonia tonton at insightbb.com
Tue Sep 11 01:18:50 UTC 2012

Hi guys!  I hope everyone had a good Monday.  I'm a new member and I
introduced myself last week.  I go to get my first guide dog two weeks from
today; and I'm hoping to get some advice on how to handle introducing our
pet dog to the new guide dog.

My husband and I don't have any kids but we do have a little 4-1/2 year old
Maltese named Belle who weighs about 10 pounds.  She's incredibly sweet,
gentle and loving; but she is our spoiled rotten baby who's used to being
the only child, so to speak.  She's very attached to both of us but she's
definitely a Mama's girl; and always in my lap or following me around
everywhere I go.  So, I'm worried about how she's going to deal with Mama
first being gone for almost a month and then coming home with another dog
that's her new best buddy who gets to go everywhere with her.  At the same
time I wonder if the new dog will be jealous of Belle.

So, some of my questions for those of you who may have been in a similar
situation are:

What's the best way to introduce the two dogs when I first get home?  Should
I have them meet outside in the yard rather than in the house?

How should I initially handle giving them both my attention?  Make a point
of spending one-on-one time with each of them verses having play/snuggle
time with both of them?

How about taking them out to park and/or on walks?  Together or separate?

I'd much appreciate any words of wisdom you'd be willing to share.  I'd also
like to hear examples of what you all have found to work well or perhaps not
so well in your experiences.  I know all dogs and situations are different
but it would still be helpful to get some ideas from others who have been
there.  I have no doubt both dogs will get plenty of love and attention; as
my husband and I are both serious dog lovers.

Thanks a bunch,

Tonia