[nagdu] Question about taking dog to work for the first time

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Sep 11 12:27:36 UTC 2012

When I first took Monty to work I cleared my schedule of all
appointments.  It was just me in my office with the ordinary paperwork
and phone calls.  This way I could be much more flexible with helping
Monty feel comfortable and settle into his place.  I didn't allow any
introductions to coworkers for maybe a week and then only brief
interactions.  I have never left Monty with a coworker.

I honestly don't think moving about the room setting up things will
interfere at all with the comfort/bonding with your dog.  I'm guessing
that you will need to be up and moving about the room to work with
individuals on an ongoing basis.  I think setting things up with no
other people will actually be a peaceful introduction to your office.

As far as going in on Friday, the weekend or Monday, I don't think that
really matters except for your exhaustion level.  I'd pick the day that
seems the lowest stress level for you and go with it.  Whatever stress
you are feeling the dog is going to pick up on it.   By reducing your
own stress you are reducing dog stress.

I'm also a fan of crates and the "go to your place" command with a mat.
I don't have room for a crate in my office.  I wish I did that would be
my preference.

Anyhow I do agree with the others that minimizing interactions with
other people is important especially in those first few weeks.  After
that you'll know your dog well enough to gauge how much meet and greet
time works for him and you.  It's different for every team.

Best of luck!
Julie