[nagdu] Question about taking dog to work for the first time

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Sep 11 14:11:44 UTC 2012

In my experience, it doesn't take long for a dog to get comfortable in the
office.  I've had 4 dogs at my job.  Some have needed to stay on tie-down
to keep them from wandering around.  Ben doesn't; he stays in his cave
under my desk, and it's hard to get him out. When I came back to work, I
came back on Monday, and worked a regular day.  I wasn't unpacking
anything, but I think he could have coped with that, too. I think the dog
is happiest if he's close to me, or at least can see me.

I never let my co-workers interact much with my dog.  To me, it interferes
with our working relationship, both the relationship between me and my
dog, and between me and my co-workers.  I want them pretty much to ignore
Ben.
I had great success, last time I came back with a new dog, in asking my
manager to send around an email a couple days beforehand, asking people to
ignore the dog.

My brother works in a less formal office environment than I do, and he
lets his dog wander around and play with his co-workers, who also
sometimes bring in their pets.  It works for him, but it wouldn't work for
me.

I also asked my husband not to play with the new dog a lot, at least for
the first couple weeks.  The dog was still turning over to me.  Now, my
husband can play with Ben as much as either of them wants.
HTH.
Tracy