[nagdu] Counting The Costs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Sep 18 00:11:19 UTC 2012

Hmmm...that's a tough one.  I spend just under $100 for 2 bags of food
every 7 weeks, which feeds two dogs of close to the same size.  I
probably buy toys once a year or so.  I buy from King Wholesale and I
get enough that I get free shipping.  I think last time that was $60,
but I also get whatever grooming stuff I need and sometimes treats.  I
do all my own grooming, including bathing and nail trimming.  I suppose
shampoo costs me $5 per year.  I bought really nice nail trimmers and a
Pedi Paws several years ago.  They were each $20.  Monty was just at the
vet for his yearly routine check up and vaccinations.  I think it was
around $120 or a bit more.  That included enough Hartguard for a year.
I use a cedar based flea/tick stuff that costs maybe $50 for both dogs
for the entire bug season.

There are other odds and ends costs, pick up bags, extra leash, crate,
rug, dishes etc.  Most of that is a one time cost or inherited from an
earlier dog.  I think if you've never had a dog before the initial start
up might be a bit more because of purchases you'll make that will last
for pretty much forever.  I think most of the programs provide a lot of
that stuff though.

So one dog for one month...maybe $75?  I'm guessing.

HTH
Julie