[nagdu] cost of a guide dog

marilyn t21114 at optonline.net
Tue Sep 18 12:09:51 UTC 2012

Hi Pauline,
Here in NY we don't pay tax on any dog items. There is a form we get from out school.
Also if you are on SSI and live in NY you get a 35 dollar a month card from Social Services for your dogs food every month.
I give my consumers who have guide dogs the SS forms. They now say you don't have to be on SSI to get the card for dog food.
Check with the guide dog school you are applying to and the Social Service dept in your state.
I know in Missouri many blind people if your income in low get a check from the state beside your SSI or disability.
I use Purina and feed two dogs on it. Its last me two month. I get coupons for 1 dollar off . It use to be 2 dollars off but they cut it in half. The Purina is usually 20 something dollars and sometimes it goes on sale. Hopefully the dog you get won't need special food because that can get expensive. Some vets will not charge you for the office visit only for meds or shots. Other vets will donate there services. If you live in NYC you can go to AMC and they don't charge  anything for a guide dog. My dogs get pet tabs and on Amazon its 35 dollars for 365 tablets.
Marilyn and Anna